Earlier today, I was in the car with a friend of mine. If
you know me, I’m quite the chatterbox. Somehow we got onto the topic of my
mother and how it’s a miracle she’s even here. My mom has been through a lot
and it has blessed her so much and, in turn, me. When she was younger, she had
an accident that has altered her life ever since. I started talking about
things that happened when my mother was younger and I realized that I really
take her for granted most of the time. I finally started to see how much my mom
and my whole family mean to me. It got me thinking about everything I love and
am so grateful for. For instance, I have a family reunion this weekend and I
can’t wait. I love being with my extended family and strengthening those
relationships that are so important. Although I’m only 17, I understand how
crucial those people are in my life.
I’ve also come to understand how easy I’ve had life thus
far. I have the luxury of having a car at my disposal most of the time. Part of
the deal of me getting to drive the car is that I have to keep it somewhat
clean and I have to pay for my own gas, which is fine by me, unless, of course,
I spend all of my money on things I really don’t need. I’ve done that a couple
of times. I had no money for gas and I had places to be. I’m so grateful to my
parents for letting me “suffer” with those small, petty challenges. It makes me
more humble and less entitled. I’m grateful for what I have and for the
opportunities I have had to progress and learn and grow. I feel very blessed
for the many things that my parents have paid for so that I may be a better
“me.” I thank them in my heart daily. I really should say it out loud more
often.
I’ve tried to adopt and live by an “Attitude of Gratitude.”
By doing so, I’ve been able to be much more optimistic than normal. I try to
see the light in every situation, even if there seems to be none. It has been a
blessing to have that extra happiness. And, it all comes from recognizing
blessings and being grateful for them.
Today has been a reflection of all of the things that I
really appreciate. I encourage you to contemplate at least 10 things that you
are TRULY grateful for and then take the time to thank God sincerely for them.
It is worth it. Once you think of others, you lose yourself in your love for
them.

Great thoughts, Paije! I think I "thank them in my heart" too often too. Thanks for the reminder!
ReplyDeleteGratitude is a deep form of love and leads to even more unconditional love. Well said Paije.
ReplyDeleteI am grateful for:
1. My hard-working husband
2. Good children who are not afraid to be different from "the crowd"
3. Time. 24 glorious hours every day to connect with my family and do good.
4. Books. I am free because of reading the right things and finding true ideas.
5. Christ's atonement. No one is perfect, including me. I need my Savior's gift constantly to free me from the thoughtless things I do from time to time.
6. Camping. I LOVE camping with my family! Those are the sweetest memories.
7. Working. Nothing feels as good as that kind of tired that happens after a full day of work.
8. Eternal Family. I love knowing that my family will be together forever and that we will be reunited with all the family members we love who have passed on before us.
9. Smiles. My whole day changes when I see a smile. I thank the stranger who smiled when I passed them in my car or in the store. Smiles brighten a day.
10. Nature. I can't count how many times I have driven out of my neighborhood and looked at "our mountain" or another mountain, flower or tree and been filled with reverence and gratitude to my God for giving me the beauties that testify of His love for me each day.
Can I give a bonus?
11. Chocolate. No explanation needed.
Gratitude is a deep form of love and leads to even more unconditional love. Well said Paije.
ReplyDeleteI am grateful for:
1. My hard-working husband
2. Good children who are not afraid to be different from "the crowd"
3. Time. 24 glorious hours every day to connect with my family and do good.
4. Books. I am free because of reading the right things and finding true ideas.
5. Christ's atonement. No one is perfect, including me. I need my Savior's gift constantly to free me from the thoughtless things I do from time to time.
6. Camping. I LOVE camping with my family! Those are the sweetest memories.
7. Working. Nothing feels as good as that kind of tired that happens after a full day of work.
8. Eternal Family. I love knowing that my family will be together forever and that we will be reunited with all the family members we love who have passed on before us.
9. Smiles. My whole day changes when I see a smile. I thank the stranger who smiled when I passed them in my car or in the store. Smiles brighten a day.
10. Nature. I can't count how many times I have driven out of my neighborhood and looked at "our mountain" or another mountain, flower or tree and been filled with reverence and gratitude to my God for giving me the beauties that testify of His love for me each day.
Can I give a bonus?
11. Chocolate. No explanation needed.